About Talbot County, Georgia
Talbot County, Georgia's 74th county, was created in 1827 from part of Muscogee County.
The County and County Seat, Talbotton, incorporated on December 20, 1828, were named for Governor Matthew Talbot.
The first session of the Georgia Supreme Court was held on January 26, 1846 at the old Claiborne Hotel in Talbotton. Here, the state's first fifteen attorneys were sworn in and qualified to practice law.
According to the 2010 Census Talbot County has a population of 6,865, 5.6% above the 2000 Census.
Talbot County is home to Big Lazer Creek Wildlife Management Area.
There is a 196-acre public fishing lake, a picnic area, a boat ramp and primitive camping available on this facility operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
"Magic Hill", in Talbot County, is located at the foot of Pine Mountain. It is so named because of the illusion that a car with its brakes released appears to roll uphill on the road.